Monday, September 8, 2008

Metro Park 2: Blacklick Woods (09/06/08)

On to my next destination in the trek
to see all of our areas metro parks...
-----
-----
I have to admit that I was rather
disappointed that the creek that
forms the eastern boundary of the
park was hardly accessible to the
general public. Perhaps golfers
at the course had more access,
but it was not as easy to spend
time near water here as it was
earlier in the week at Battelle-Darby.
-----
-----
Blacklick Woods Metro Park
turns 60 years old this month.
-----
What does everyone want to do
on a hot summer day?
Walk through a swamp with
millions of mosquitos?
Fortunately, this swamp--
which I would probably label
as a slough (pronounced "sloo")
in the South--was pretty dry.
-----
-----
The caterpillar below almost got
stepped on. His coloring hides him
well, but it's probably not such
a grand idea to be on a human
walkway using his camouflage.
-----
-----
The next four shots show the
diversity of color at this park.
-----
-----
The plant below was similar to an
impatien. Same branching, similar
flowering, but unusual color...
-----
-----
Not sure what kind of berries
these are, but the red is nice.
-----
-----
This hyacinth-like flower was almost
unnoticeable as I strolled past.
-----
-----
This magnificent tree must
my decades old!
-----
-----
I was impressed with how low the
lower branches were to the ground.
-----
-----
I had never seen anything like these pods.
Anyone have any idea what they are?
-----
------
I'm always fascinated by this "locust"
tree that has the barbs
growing from its trunk.
-----
-----
Could it be the creekbed
coming up?!?
-----
-----
We found it!
-----
-----
My friend Bob Dudics removed his
shoes to get a little better feel
for the coolness of the water.
-----
-----
This is my favorite shot of the day--
the little creek creating some
rapids on its way south.
-----
-----
More rapids at the bend...
(although they're hard to see...)
-----
-----
I LOVE running water!
-----
-----
Why didn't Bob tell me I looked
six months pregnant!?!
-----
-----
This was my last shot before I got
my crew cut Saturday afternoon.
-----
------
Ah! The pod plant again!
And this time it has some
visitors!!!
-----
-----
Okay, this was not as great
as Battelle-Darby, but it was
nice spending some time with
Bob and finding a few new
treasures here in Central Ohio.
-----

No comments: