Saturday, October 25, 2008

October 18, 2008 - Pumpkins & a Cave

-----
Bob Dudics and I decided we would
attend the Circleville Pumpkin Festival.
-----
-----
Commissioned for the 100th anniversary
of the Pumpkin Festival, this painting
on the side of an old building is amazing!
-----
-----
I've seen pictures of the one in
Bucyrus (byou-SIE-rus), OH,
but I had never witnessed one
in person. The 3-D quality cannot
be fully appreciated in a two-
dimensional medium.
-----
-----
Most of the arts and crafts were as
one would expect--chessy and a bit
mundane. This exhibit, however,
took my breath away!
-----
-----
The artist grew up in Circleville. After
high school, he attended Columbus
College of Art and Design, where he
learned the art of glass-blowing.
-----
-----
After moving to Seattle, WA, he
decided to put his past and present
lives together in these fantastic
one-of-a kind creations.
-----
-----
I didn't meet Gus, but I certainly
appreciate his art as well.
-----
-----
It's hard to capture just how big
this pumpkin is or the fact that
it's REAL! Notice the detail of
the carving as well as the painting.
-----
-----
I asked permission of a lady to
take this shot of her dog.
-----
-----
Ah, pumpkins!
So this is why they call it the
Pumpkin Festival!
-----

-----
Hundreds and hundreds
of varieties!
I thought this warty one
was cool for Halloween.
-----


-----
And the winner of this year's
heavy-weight division, coming
in at a whopping 1375 1/2 pounds!
-----
-----
Sights around town...
-----

-----
Okay, so I decided I had to
sample some kind of food!
What would be your choice?
-----


-----
Bob tried the pumpkin coffee
and liked it very much.
-----










-----
And my choice...pumpkin
cream elephant ear!
Scrumptious!
-----
-----
Bob and I had some extra time
on our hands after the festival
and decided to go to Hocking
Hills for a hike. Little did we know
that the entire state's population
had come up with the same idea!
-----

-----
Usually, my outdoor photos turn
out well, but I deleted half of these.
Perhaps I was trying to take the
shots too quickly to avoid the crowds.
-----

-----
Although the roots are almost
completely out of the ground,
the tree is still remarkably alive!
-----
-----
Our destination...Old Man's Cave!
-----
-----

No comments: