Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Neighborhood: The Scioto (Part 2 of 4)

Well, today was supposed
to be my first softball
practice with the church
team, but instead of arriving
five minutes early, I
arrived one hour and 55
minutes late!
The last two Saturdays
had practices scheduled
(and subsequently canceled
due to weather) at
noon. Today's practice was ten.
Bummed, I went home.
Rather than waste a gorgeous
day, I decided to take a
tour of my neighborhood.
I left at 1:00 and didn't return
until 6:00!
When I left my apartment, I
walked east to High Street.
Here's a shot at Frankfort
and High, looking north
toward downtown...
Across the street is
German Village Antiques.
Don't let the name fool you:
the store is technically
in the Brewery District.
All businesses want the
German Village
designation because it
holds more clout.


There are four major historic
districts in town: German Village,
the Brewery District, Victorian
Village, and Italian Village.
There are also a myriad of
other smaller districts.
For example, Merion Village
is just south of the
Brewery District on High.
Still within the Brewery
District, this is a shot of
Plank's Bier Garten.
Our church team will
play the men and
women who frequent
this bar during
softball season.
Hoo boy...



At Whittier, I headed back
west toward the railroad
tracks and the river.
At Front Street, I headed
south again toward
Greenlawn Avenue.
From Front, I can see
the Scioto River across
the railroad tracks.


If you could see through
the trees at the middle
right of this shot, you might
see Brewers Yard, my
apartment complex...



The Scioto (SI-oto) River
is the town's largest
waterway.
I love this manmade
structure that gives the
river a waterfall.
(I'm snapping this shot
from the top of the
Greenlawn Avenue bridge.)


At the base of the bridge,
I took this shot looking west
toward Interstate 71.
On the left you can
see Berliner Park,
a sports park with over
20 baseball diamonds.
This is where I will play
softball all summer long.
(My first game is Monday
night at 6:15.)


Now on the other
side of the river, I can
get a better shot of
the waterfall.
I don't dare walk on
the concrete sides, which
are made at a 45-degree
angle downward.
Some people are fishing
at the base of the one on
the opposite side of the river.
Click on the photo,
and you'll notice a man
in the river fishing.
This is heavily frowned
upon due to the surge
of the river and the depth.


I walked down a bike trail to
get this shot. A few men
were on the banks fishing...


As I make my way back east
across the river,
I notice a coal train making
its way northward...






No comments: