Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Neighborhood: Strep (Part 1 of 4)

I decided to break this blog entry into
four separate entries. I took a few photos
at the first of the week and LOTS of
photos today. (If I get tired, I'll postpone
later posts until tomorrow.)
As most of you know, Daddy was diagnosed
with Stage 3B of lung cancer on April 9th.
(If you want more of that story, email me:
I'll be glad to provide the details.)
Anyway, after spending ten days in
Mississippi, I began my
journey home a week ago today.
The day didn't begin so well...
Because of the stormy weather
in Memphis the night of Friday
the 13th, my plane to Charlotte
was delayed three hours, which
also meant I would miss
my connecting flight.
US Airways re-routed me to
Philadelphia at 9:30 a.m. on
Northwest; then I had a five-hour
layover in Philly before I
could catch the plane
back to Columbus.
The ride from Philadelphia to Columbus
was so bumpy, I thought I was riding
a roller coaster. UGH!
I knew I felt bad when I landed:
what I didn't know was that I
was beginning to catch strep.
On Sunday I tried to go to a
Minor Med (called Urgent Care)
in Columbus. I didn't realize
that they don't start at 8:00
on Sundays like they do in
Memphis so I grabbed NyQuil
at Walgreens and headed
home to try to get some rest.
It's amazing how sassy cats can
become so very loving when
their daddies are sick. Maria
kept vigil beside me (or in my
lap) for the three days I was ill.
I read a plaque today that said everyone
needs a cat AND a dog to lead a
balanced life: a dog to adore you
and a cat to ignore you. HA!
The wind was blowing so hard on Sunday
and Monday that I hardly could stand when
I was outside. The wind chill on Monday
was still a crisp 36 degrees!
I finally made it to the doctor on Monday
to discover that I indeed tested positive
for strep. I was told not to return to work
until Wednesday. I wonder if my co-workers
will recall what I look like?
On Monday I noticed that the cover
had been removed from the pool.
The waves from the wind looked
like tidal waves. (A bit of hyperbole...)
On Tuesday morning, I heard voices
outside my apartment. The
maintenance guys had pulled the
plug in the pool, and were getting
it cleaned for the coming season.


By late Tuesday afternoon, the pool
was empty and the patio
furniture was out!



This shot was taken this morning of
water being added to the pool
with a tiny water hose.

Hopefully, we'll have enough
water in there by Memorial Day
for a nice swim...



1 comment:

Simply Aware said...

WOW, I feel like I really got to see the place! Thanks.