Sunday, July 12, 2009

NE OH Spring Waterfall Tour - May 9, 2009 - Stop 3

-----
This is a multi-part blog entry that
documents my trip to the Cleveland
area in early May, 2009.
-----
This was another of those
hard-to-find treasures.
-----
-----
The city didn't have clear
directions to the park,
but I prevailed!
-----
----
This waterfall is called
Great Falls. I'm excited!
-----
-----
The sound of pounding water
fills the air.
-----
-----
I saw this little flower on the
side of the trail and couldn't resist.
-----
-----
A valley dogwood...
-----
-----
I hope that's not it!
-----
-----
This tunnel was created to filter
the stream under the railroad.
-----
-----
This is a better shot of the railroad
tracks. Actually, the tracks
were closer to the water, but
it became "necessary" to build
more tracks. All of the dirt
under the railroad bridge
is BACKFILL!
-----
-----
The water isn't as clean as
I had expected.
-----
-----
Yikes! Lots of graffiti!
I refuse to give the artists
the satisfaction of appearing
on my blog!
-----
-----
This is a closer view of the tunnel
created before the backfill was
added to created the above tracks.
-----
-----
Pretty stream...
I hope the city begins to
take better care of this
natural resource.
-----
-----
I love this tree's roots!
-----
-----
The stream flows into
a tiny but deep channel.
-----
-----
Nicely bloomed bush...
-----
-----
We're getting closer to the falls!
-----
-----
This is only half of the falls!
-----
-----
Wow! It's hard to capture the
entire fall in this one photo!
-----
-----
From above...
-----
-----
I had to capture this tiny
waterfall dripping into the
creek just ahead of the
massive falls. He's not
ashamed of his size!
-----
-----
This is the left side of the falls.
-----
-----
And, of course, this is the
right side. (I'm too close to
capture both sides at once.)
-----
-----
When the stream was diverted for a
mill years ago, this was the channel
that held the water going to the mill.
-----
-----
This tunnel took the diversion
back to the creek.
-----
-----
This is the opposite side
from above.
-----
-----
This is even a closer shot
of the left falls.
-----
-----
How's this for a shot of both?
-----
-----
This is just above the falls.
-----
-----
Doesn't it look tranquil?
-----
-----
The bend before the plunge!
-----
-----
The stream banks are lovely.
-----
-----
Almost time to head to the hotel...
but I think I'll take a trip to
Bridal Veil while I'm close...
-----

No comments: