Friday, August 31, 2007

Columbus Zoo 1

This is a four-part blog about my trip
to the Columbus Zoo two weeks ago.
A word of explanation first...
Since I took so many photos,
I was concerned the blog would
not hold all of the information;
hence, I created these four
entries to spread out the shots.
The last entries were actually
uploaded first so there may
be weird chronology issues
as you read through the entries.
-------------------------------------------------------
I volunteered to work at the
Teddy Bear Safari for Children's
Hospital. TBS is a non-threatening way
to teach children about the hospital
and all of our various procedures.
It's non-threatening because
we perform the various checkups
on their stuffed animals.
Here is my tent for the first part of the morning...
After I finished my shift,
I went inside our area
to make a few shots.



Outside, a juggler entertains
the kids. I caught this photo
as the little girl was throwing
the juggler another ball...



Usually, this vehicle has is
an ominous sight.
Today it was taking a
break from hauling
sick kiddos...



As I mentioned in a later blog,
I am not impressed with Columbus
Zoo's landscaping.
That said, I am much more
impressed with the animals
(including number of animals
and wellbeing of the animals)
and their habitats than anywhere
I've ever been--including San Diego.


I liked the mirror behind the
flamingos' nests. It was tilted
so we could see if there were
eggs or hatchlings in the
mud nests.

Next up, alligators...or crocodiles...
whatever!
I found this scientific fact amazing!

Smile!

Okay, I admit it: I went crazy
in the herpatorium.
So many amazing creatures...



Yep, it's two...

Isn't he adorable?!?



This guy/girl is called a
snake-necked turtle.
Wonder why?



A closeup below of the shot above...



A rattler!

Don't worry...there's glass
between the kid and the snakes.

More snakes and turtles and frogs
coming up...oh my!

No comments: