Thursday, August 23, 2007

Columbus Zoo 4

NOTE: This group of photos is a continuation
of my trip to the zoo last Saturday.
---------------------------------------------------------
This is Manatee Coast.

I'm not sure what kind of fish this is,
but he's only a couple of inches thick
and is as silver as polished candlesticks.

I love these stingrays.


And these, of course, are Christopher

Columbus's mistaken mermaids:
the manatee.
You'd been too long at sea, Chris...


Another shot of a stingray...

Fascinating!


One final glance under the sea
before the next leg of my trip...


The entrance to Asia Quest were
these two lovely cascades.


A crane?


Sweet monkeys...


Not-so-sweet looking HUGE bats...

A baby monk with her parents...

I was quite impressed with the elephants'
green space. Plenty of room to roam...

My zoo favorite...the vanishing red panda...

I can't recall the name of these animals,
but I do remember that the twin
girls were less than a month old
when I made the shot...

This sweet baby below is a pallas cat.
"Found throughout Asia,
from the Caspian Sea and Iran to
southeastern Siberia and Tibet,
these animals were mistakenly
considered ancestors of the Persian housecat
because of their stocky build and flat face.
With long, dense coats that keep
them comfortable in cold,
arid environments, they occur widely
but are not common and
they have been hunted nearly
to extinction for their fur."


A lush setting for these tigers...


The King of the Jungle!!!



Leopards...


The animals in this next exhibit
are all native to North America.
First is the Mexican wolf...
Then we find the fuzzy bears...


These guys were arguing LOUDLY
over lunch that had just been delivered.


Mr. Sassy Pants got his way...

A bear in another exhibit is
frustrated he can't join in the
ruckus he hears in the distance...

This grey wolf was the most animated
animal of the day...


Moose!!!


It's a mountain lion!
No, wait! It's a cougar!
Or is it a puma?
I know, it's a panther!!!
Actually, it's called all these names...

I ran out of battery power before I finished
with the animals. I think I had about
three more animals to photograph.
Oh, well...another day, my friends...

No comments: