Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Trip Home

I know this entry has been a long time
in coming, but I've been SO busy with
the move. Hopefully, these will
catch us up...
My boss Kevin told me on Thursday,
February 15th, that we were going to
have more snow the day I was to depart
for Memphis. Needless, to say I was
a bit nervous when I heard the news...
especially since my car was still stuck in
the ice from storm two days earlier.
Friday didn't calm my fears. In fact, that
day the worry escalated. I discovered that
the buyer of my house indeed wanted
repairs, but I didn't find out until
3:00 Friday afternoon, and closing was
scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Tuesday.
The joy of Friday was when Bob and
his neighbor were able to push
my car from its frozen grave.
Life plugged along, and sure enough we had
about 4-6 inches of new snow on Saturday morning.
I parked in the cheap lot at the airport, and it took
the shuttle about 15 minutes to get us to the terminal.
Below is a shot of the runway at the Columbus
Airport. Snowplows were all over the place!
There was a Starbucks near the gate
so I had my favorite frappe and a
blueberry scone while I waited.
The plane was delayed about 50 minutes
once we boarded. I wasn't worried...not much.
I did get a free Bloody Mary because
of the tardiness so why should I complain?
Em picked me up at the Memphis
Airport, and we went to Ione's to drop
my stuff off. Here are pictures of
my home away from home away from home...






And what home is complete without a
few of these critters hanging around?!?
Above is Cue.
Below is BW.

And the beautiful boy under this caption
is Grey Ghost.
OH, and who can forget Bogey!
Tippy, Bogey's girlfriend, was always hiding
when I had the camera out...
Em and I joined Jimmy Stephens at
Macaroni Grill on Saturday evening for
supper, and then Em and I went to
the Orpheum to see Spamalot.
Sunday Daniel took me to Batesville to
meet my family so we could travel on
to Parchman, where my cousin Chris
is incarcerated.
Later that night, Ione helped me finish packing.
Monday the 19th was the trip to my hometown
of Mantachie. Aunt Louise had been
hospitalized twice since my move to Ohio,
and I wanted not only to see her but the
rest of my family as well.
This is my parents' home and the place
I called home from 1979 to 1996.
Below is a quick shot of Mama and
the girls before we left the house to
visit Louise. Aren't they adorable?
And, of course, no trip is complete with
my nieces without a trip to the
Home of the Whopper!
To my surprise Louise was
doing exceptionally well.
Now, tell me...Does she look almost 80?!?

(NOTE: She had a bad night after I left.
Her blood sugar dropped to 14!
Nevertheless, she has now been
released from the step-down unit
and is once again living at home.
Okay, my Ohio friends, don't be shocked!
Yes, it was February 19th, and the
daffodils at my homeplace were in
full bloom!!!
I asked Daddy to check Ione's tires
before I headed back to Memphis.
(Beth is supervising.)

Below is the inside of Daddy's shop.

I took my leave about 5:00 p.m.
and headed back to Memphis.
Stella had invited me to dinner at her
new apartment. What she had not
expected was that her oven was going
to stop working. We shot over to Emily's
house after the salad, cooked the main
course and dessert, and finished our
meal about 8:30 p.m. Monday night.
Here's Stella in a very unstaged photo. HA!
The next day was a flurry of activity.
We changed the closing to 2:00 from 10:00,
so I had the movers come at 9:00 instead of 12:00.
Without going into the financial details of
the sale of my home, I'll just say that Tuesday the
20th was one of the most stressful days
in recent memories. (I have zits this week
to prove it.) BUT the house sold, I FINALLY
signed papers, and the day was almost over.
My friends met over at Ione's for a final
meal together. Ione is always so
kind to play hostess. Thank you, Ione!
Below, Johnny (RUFUS) has arrived from
Tupelo and is washing up. It was Mardi Gras
so that explains his showy jewelry.
Another shot of Rufie with Ione and Bogey.

Everyone congregated around the birds
to try to see Tippy and her egg.

This final shot is one of my best friend Em
and her new friend Jason.
Tomorrow I'll try to upload photos of
my move into Brewers Yard.

No comments: