Monday, April 20, 2009

April 18, 2009 - Stop 4: Cedar Bog 1

-----
For my last stop of the day,
I left Miami County and traveled
about 40 miles east to Urbana
and the Cedar Bog Nature Preserve.
-----
-----
When I read bog, I thought swamp,
which was not a fair assessment of
the environment. Cedar Bog--which
should have been named Cedar Fen--
is a fresh water fen that is unlike
any other ecosystem in Ohio.
-----
-----
Many rare and unusual species of
plantlife and animals can be found here.
-----
-----
From one of their own brochures
comes this estimate:
"The winding wooded trail that takes
you through the Preserve was
constructed in 1986 at a cost of
$72,500. Lumber alone was $27,500."
Research tells me that lumber
is roughly twice that cost today,
so the boardwalk would cost
$145,000 to build today; further,
it is my estimate that the walk
covers only about 1.5 miles.
-----

-----
You don't have to tell me twice!
-----
-----
Ever seen the movie
The Princess Bride?
Look familar?
-----
-----
Wow! I wonder what this is...
-----
-----
And this...its leaves look like geraniums.
-----
-----
The bright yellows and greens in
this dark woods were brilliant!
-----
-----
AH! Someone just passed by and was
commenting on the skunk cabbage,

but I still don't know what the one

with the yellow flowers is...

-----
-----
I've never had an allergic reaction to
poison ivy; regardless, I'm not going
to give poison sumac a try.
-----


-----
How odd...I wonder if the bottoms of
these trees don't get enough sunlight.
-----
-----
And I thought this was dead grass!
-----

-----
This is the East Branch of Cedar Run.
I'm thinking the mosquitos must be
horrible in mid-summer!
-----

-----
Oooo...I'd love to see one of these
turtles...but I didn't.
-----

----
Skunk cabbage, huh?
Such an unflattering name
for such a lovely shade of green...
-----
-----
I'll continue the photos for this
fen on the next entry...
-----

No comments: