Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 18, 2009 - Stop 4: Cedar Bog 2

-----
(I obviously took too many photos for
a single Blogger post, so I had to
split this entry into two parts.)
-----
Having just walked from the
visitor's center past the East Branch
of Cedar Run, I'm ready to make a
trek that loops by the West Branch.
-----

-----
I've been wondering since I entered
the bog what the gorgeous yellow
wildflowers are; finally I have a
name for them: marsh marigolds.
Leaves still look more like geraniums...
----
-----
The state wildflower is the white
trillium. I hope to find one blooming!
-----
-----
This spider isn't too camouflaged
on this skunk cabbage leaf.
-----
-----
YEA! A trillium! It's too far away for
a good shot. Hopefully, there will be
some closer to the trail later on...
-----
-----
I'm not sure if it's the stark contrast
of the dead leaves to the green,
but these marsh marigolds and skunk
cabbage really pop!
-----
-----
I'm back to the northern portion of
the sedge meadow I saw a little
earlier from the other boardwalk.
(Okay, now that I see all of these
beautiful wildflowers that bloom here
in summer, I've GOT to come back!
-----
-----
It's hard to imagine these fantastic plants
appearing in this beige part of the world...
-----



-----
Look at the Venus-fly-trap-like plant on
the left! I must return!!!
-----
-----
I wonder if this is GREEN sedge?!?
-----
-----
I saw this odd plant growing off the
trail. There is no mention of what it
is, but it's very odd...and like nothing
I've ever seen before...
-----
-----
Oh, my goodness! What I thought
were cedars in the South are actually
junipers! How interesting!
-----


-----
I thought these cedars looked more
like Leland cypress trees than they
did cedars, but now that I've found out
the trees I thought were cedars are
junipers, I'm just confused!!!
-----


-----
I can't believe the number of
wildflowers in this ecosphere!
-----
-----
Poor deer must be starving to death!
-----

-----
Now you tell me! So this is Cedar
Fen, not Cedar Bog!
-----

-----
It's quite a miracle that I'm even in
a this snaky place: please don't ask
me to get dirty!
-----
-----
Another study in contrasts...
-----
-----
I liked this tree because it has a lower
branch that is still attached.
-----
-----
The West Branch of Cedar Run...
-----

-----
This fallen river birch with its dappled
trunk and brown leaves is a nice foil
to the dark colored creek and brightly
colors wildflowers.
-----
-----
Love that marbled trunk...
-----
-----
I wonder what's causing this
ground water to have a reddish cast?
-----
-----
Have I mentioned that skunk
cabbage is abundantly present
here at the fen?
-----
-----
Another trillium! This one shows
that not only the bloom but also
the leaves are in threes.
-----
-----
I had been trying since I arrived to
make a close-up shot of the flowers
of this tree to no avail.
This time it worked! And I got
an ant to boot!!!
-----
-----
Ever heard of skunk cabbage?
-----
-----
So...the run is actually a manmade ditch!
-----






-----
This thing is freaky!
-----

-----
I suppose it doesn't take a lot of
wind to topple a tree that has its
roots anchored in mud...
-----

-----
Another fallen giant...
-----
-----
I wonder what this is...
-----
-----
This was my favorite part of the
trail...just seemed so lush.
----
-----
I wonder if these are the wild orchids
mentioned on an earlier placard?
-----


-----
With this final shot of these
unknown wildflowers, I can
boldly say that, even without a
waterfall, Cedar Bog was worth
the trip!
-----
-----
I wonder how much Deet I'll have to
spray on in the summer to avoid being
eaten up by mosquitos...
-----

No comments: