Sunday, April 12, 2009

Rananculus

-----
On Friday, April 3, I stopped by
Kroger for some groceries. As I
frequently do, I stopped by the floral
department to see the lovely plants
on display that week.
-----
To my surprise, there was a flower I
had only read about and seen in books:
RANANCULUS.
I agree: the name is unflattering,
but take a look at its beauty...
------
-----
From the above photo, starting in
the top left-hand corner and moving
clockwise, the colors in this batch
were yellow, magenta (with a white
one a little below its head), two
oranges, a red and what I've dubbed
peppermint.
-----
-----
Talk about striking color! Wow!
-----
-----
Typically, I'm much more a fan
of vibrant colors, but I'm smitten
with this "peppermint" one.
-----
-----
As it's grown, it's obvious that the
color is predominantly white,
fringed with a dark pink.
-----
-----
The magenta rananculus below
is shown a little further in its
development. In this photo it
appears red, but that's only true
in the absence of a true red.
-----
Likewise, the white one now
appears more cream colored.
-----
-----
The camera was not my friend
in the next shot. The red and
orange almost look identical,
which is not the case.
-----
-----
But probably the most
breathtaking color is this yellow
specimen. It must be tough
to be a springtime yellow
bloomer with so many daffodils
vying for attention.
-----
-----
This grouping has been a wonderful
springtime pick-me-up, especially
since this past week has been so
cool as we approached Easter.
-----
Although the leaves are starting to yellow
(even though the buds are still waiting
their turn to explode into color),
I'd pay $6.99 again for the joy this
rainbow of color has brought me...
-----

No comments: