Friday, May 15, 2009

Glen Helen Nature Preserve (April 27, 2009): Part 2

-----
There are several routes to go
from here, but I think I'll take
the stepping stones across the
creek and head to the right.
-----
-----
I read about these fish in a piece
of literature, but I can't remember
where now. They are very finicky:
the water must be very clean for
them to survive and thrive.
-----
-----
A Sessile trillium...
-----




-----
A spring empties into the creek.
-----
-----
I followed the spring to its
point of origin. Do you see
what's all around the mouth
of the spring? (Yep, snunk cabbage!)
-----
-----
This may-apple is about to bloom,
but the leaves are showing heat
distress from the lack of rain.
-----



-----
This plant reminds me of Daddy.
He found this type on one of
his hundreds of fishing trips,
brought it home, and planted it
in a log he had hewn out.
It grew beautifully!
-----

-----
This path leaves the creek, but I
want to try to find a spring.
-----
----
According to the trail map,
this is called Barren Creek
(or something like that).
-----
-----
Common violet (pansy)...
-----
-----
Ah, the spring!
-----

-----
I think I've wandered farther
than the trail map shows.
-----


-----
Yep, this bridge is not on
the trail map.
-----
-----
These are white violets.
(Is that an oxymoron?)
-----

-----
Multiple springs on this side
of the creek (yes, I crossed over
at the bridge before heading back)
feed into the larger body of water.
-----
-----
Do you see what I see?
-----



-----
An entire bed of Sessile trilliums...
-----
-----
I wonder if this is dirty water...
-----


-----
I wonder what this is.
-----
-----
Seems like it's about to bloom...
-----
-----
Wow! There quite a stand
behind the fallen tree...
-----
-----
Another jack-in-the pulpit...
(I know, I need to stop
photographing these.)
-----

-----
OKAY! This is my last one!
I just loved the burgundy
hue on the inside of the bloom.
-----


-----
I had been reluctant all day to
photograph this weed...
but everything is special
in its own way...
-----
-----
This pink turned out
better than I expected
on film.
-----
-----
Hmmm...a little wetland.
-----
-----
I must be back on the
Glen Helen Preserve now.
The rock formations have
started revealing themselves again.
-----



-----
COOL! Look where
this flower blooms!
-----

-----
This is NOT trick photography:
the boulder really is
top-heavy and leaning
at about a 70-degree angle!
----



----
I love how these stones have
separated themselves during
erosion to look like a brick wall.
-----
-----
Another great formation!
A boulder had collapsed
into the area between
two other boulders.
-----
-----
A natural arch was created
through erosion.
-----



-----
I like how this boulder
is sitting straight up
out of the ground.
-----





-----
Four hours later
I've returned to the parking lot!
-----
-----
I'll have to do John Bryan State Park
another day...
-----

No comments: