Sunday, May 3, 2009

Inniswood: Part 1

-----
I had softball practice the morning
of this hike so I couldn't venture
too far from the Columbus Metro
area before the end of the day.
-----
I chose to see a couple of more
metroparks in the northeastern
portion of Franklin County.
-----
-----
I had hoped to finished this series
of blog posts by May 2: you see,
that day is my Aunt Jimmie Sasser's
birthday. (She turned...uh...well...
she turned a year older yesterday.)
Regardless of my tardiness in posting,
Aunt Jimmie, these photos
from Inniswood are in honor
of your special day!
-----
-----
About halfway through my walk,
I stumbled upon an area in the
Sisters' Garden called the Secret
Garden: I've renamed it the Grotto.
Within the grotto were these
quotes that I thought would be
better spread throughout my
posts rather than in a clutch
in the middle of a single post.
-----
-----
The entrance to the park...
-----



-----
I decided to walk on my own
without the aid of a map.
By doing so, I missed the highlights
of the park until I reached the
midway point. Nevertheless,
I very much liked the manner
with which I discovered this park.
-----


-----
I have to admit that I wasn't too
crazy about this first section I stumbled
upon, but there were a few
treasures tucked away here and there.
-----
-----
I have to make a disclaimer here:
the winds were blowing strongly
today. My attempts to capture
close-up photography were
thwarted time and again.
I have only posted those
images that were clear.
-----

-----
This section had an evergreen theme.
I liked this leaning specimen.
I suppose it would be known as
a weeping something-or-other.
-----


-----
I think I'll take Caryn and Beth here
when they visit in a few weeks...
-----

-----
Aunt Jimmie, I can't help but
think of you and Aunt Verda
as I view this bronze statue.
-----
-----
Daddy used to tell me that this plant
was called a Grandma Bush. (We had
one in our backyard.) It wasn't until
I was much older that I realized
it was actually a lilac and that
Daddy had named the bush
based upon the fact that he
had been given a starting by
his grandmother!
-----

-----
Tulips are beautiful, but they're
so short-lived...
-----
-----
I think this variety looks like plastic!
-----
-----
Could this red be any brighter?!?
-----

-----
This is my favorite bush in the
world! It's a viburnum.
The blooms must be what
heaven smells like...
-----

-----
A close-up shot of a viburnum bloom...
Notice that the head actually had
dozens of tiny flowers all over it!
-----
-----
This statue was at the center
of a story maze.
-----
-----
I wanted to capture this wildflower,
but the winds made the feat almost
impossible! Almost...
-----
-----
Here on the fringes of this wooded
path, this quote seems appropriate.
-----
-----
May-apples...
-----
-----
I think Caryn and Beth will LOVE this!
-----
-----
Aunt Jimmy, I hope you had
a wonderful birthday. Joey
told me that you had another
great-grandchild baptized
yesterday. My blessings to
you and all of your family
on your birthday...and
the day after...
-----

No comments: