Sunday, May 31, 2009

NE OH Spring Waterfall Tour - May 10, 2009 - Stop 8a

-----
This is a multi-part blog entry that
documents my trip to the Cleveland
area in early May, 2009.
-----
Since the morning's activities
took less time than I expected,
I determined I could drive to
the Holden Arboretum for a visit.
(This is my only non-waterfall
stop on the itinerary.)
-----
-----
This place is a photographer's
and flower lover's paradise!
-----
In the gardens surrounding the
welcome center were several
nice specimens. Below is
fothergilla, I think...
-----
-----
This columbine is something
I never saw growing in the South.
-----

-----
Solomon's Seal
-----
-----
I don't know what this purple
flower is, but I like it.
-----
-----
Another beautiful columbine!
-----

----
I thought this next plant
was coreopsis,
but now I'm not so sure.
-----
-----
This quince was full of
red flowers.
-----

-----
This section of the arboretum
highlighted their viburnum
and lilac collections.
If you've ever wandered what
heaven smells like,
put these two scents together
in an area with blossom
upon blossom upon blossom...
-----
-----
These peonies (pronounced
pee-OWN-ees in the South--HA!)
were still working their way
toward full bloom.
-----
-----
The lilac blooms on this specimen
were massive!
-----
-----
Daphne
-----
-----
This flower had already bloomed,
but it's seed pod was so interesting
I had to get a shot.
-----

-----
Lady's Mantel doesn't have
showy flowers, but it is
elegant in its own way.
-----
-----
White and purple lilacs...
-----
-----
Peony bloom...
-----
-----
LOOK AT THIS LILAC
CLUSTER-BLOOM!
One cutting would perfume
an entire house!
-----
-----
This flower looks so "springy."
Keep in mind that it's still
in the low 50s even though
the sun is shining brightly.
-----
-----
I don't know what this is,
but I love it!
-----
-----
Notice the clouds in the background, too!
-----
-----
I took this photo of a plaque on
a park bench to show my friend
Ione Katz, who is an avid birder.
-----
-----
Can you imagine a dogwood
being in full bloom in MAY!?!
-----

-----
Another beautiful peony...
-----

-----
This lilac bush was enormous!
-----
-----
A tulip tree or a type of magnolia?
-----

-----
Viburnum...
-----
-----
The lotuses that bloom here
a little later in the year are
supposedly red, orange, and yellow.
-----
-----
Not sure of this one either,
but click on the photo to
see the delicate cascade better...
-----



-----
Aww! A gosling!
-----

-----
WOW! GOSLINGS!
-----
-----
Isn't this tree great!
-----
-----

No comments: