Saturday, May 16, 2009

Glen Helen Nature Preserve (April 27, 2009): Part 1

-----
On Monday, April 27, 2009,
I took a mental health day from work.
Heading west on Interstate 70,
I wanted to see John Bryan
State Park, Yellow Springs,
and Glen Helen Nature Preserve.
-----
-----
As you can see, I started
on the Antioch College
campus at Glen Helen.
-----
-----
This place doesn't look so big.
I should be able to hike John
Bryan later this afternoon.
-----
-----
After leaving the gift shop and
park headquarters, I headed north.
-----
Ah...a nice jack-in-the-pulpit...
-----
-----
I have to admit: as I made my way
north, I was not very impressed
with the scenery on the whole.
Several rock formations had
graffiti and trash littered
the grounds.
-----
-----
My shots attempt, as much as
possible, to avoid vandalism.
-----




-----
A natural spring
traipsing down the hill
to the creek...
-----
-----
A sudden noise startles me!
-----

-----
Although the deer ran up the hill,
she stopped and watched me
as I photographed her once more.
-----
-----
Look at this big tree whose
roots are embedded in the rock.
-----
-----
My first close-up shots of
Yellow Springs Creek...
-----


-----
Another creature enjoys the sun.
-----







-----
This is something in the
rocks of this area that makes
the area around where water
flows turn yellow (orange).
-----

-----
This is one of my favorite shots.
I love the fern growing from
the massive stone wall.
-----
-----
Strangely, the brilliant sun
made taking photos today a bit
challenging. Notice how
washed out the left side of
the photo (where the tree
is standing) looks.
-----

-----
Another favorite shot...
-----



-----
I wonder how I can get to the
waterfall on the other side of
the underside of Highway 68.
-----

-----
Another jack-in-the-pulpit...
-----

-----
This is THE Yellow Spring!
-----
-----
A pink trillium...I wonder if it's
pink because of the iron content
of the soil...
-----



-----
Click on this photo to read
the inscription.
-----
----
The boulder on which the plaque
is affixed is about three or four
feet in height. Notice the
size of the tree Helen
once daydreamed under.
-----
-----
WOW! These cascades on
Birch Creek (which meets
Yellow Springs Creek a
little farther west) are
FANTASTIC!
-----







-----
Violets...
-----
-----
This is a huge stand of trillium.
-----






-----
This is taking longer to hike
than I had expected.
I should have brought
some water along!
-----

No comments: