Friday, May 29, 2009

NE OH Spring Waterfall Tour - May 10, 2009 - Stop 8b

-----
This is a multi-part blog entry that
documents my trip to the Cleveland
area in early May, 2009.
-----
I may have seen my last
viburnum and lilac of
this season. As I turned
to go to the Rhododendron
Garden, I spy a buckeye tree.
-----
-----
Before heading south, I decide
to visit the Rockery.
-----
-----
Some of these plants may look
rather normal for a garden,
but most are very rare species.
The one below is only found
twice in the entire state of Ohio.
-----
-----
Yay! I found a may-apple blossom!
-----
-----
These tiny irises only stood
a few inches from the ground.
-----


-----
Finally, I'm on my way to
the rhododendron collection.
But what did I just hear in the leaves?
-----
-----
Click on the photo to see the
woodland creature I discovered
on this blustery day.
-----
-----
I wish I had taken a shot of the
enormous gates that keep the
deer from eating the prized
rhododendrons. I thought I
had lost my way...like Dorothy
at the door of the
Wizard of Oz!
-----
-----
Once inside, however, the
beauty unfolded.
-----
-----
I've seen primrose in little pots
at Kroger, but I've never seen
them growing in the wild.
-----
-----
I don't know what this is,
but the purple tops were lovely.
-----
-----
AH! My first shot of a
rhododendron (of MANY!)...
-----
-----
Azaleas grow well in the South,
but rhododendrons (in the same
family, of course) do not grow
in the humidity of my home state.
-----
-----
The above shot is one of my favorites.
-----

-----
I love this combination of
yellows, pinks and oranges.
(I think of a peach when I
see the colors together.)
-----
-----
Heath Pond
-----
-----
Here is a different set of gates
to keep the deer out.
-----
-----
See the color on the hill
across the pond?
-----

-----
I've seen these scurrying around
all day. I didn't think I would
ever get a shot!
-----
-----
I never fail to look at this pink
specimen without thinking
of my grandmother Lorette
Reynolds. She would have been
so happy: pink was her favorite color.
-----
-----
At first, this movement in the
pond was a bit unnerving.
Later, I realized the fish
were feeding on the algae.
-----

-----
I bet my friends down South
haven't seen these in bloom
for a few months!
-----

-----
I think this one is an azalea.
-----
-----
More primroses...
-----

-----
I'm disappointed that I didn't
focus this shot well.
The deep purple petals and the
hot pink filaments, anthers,
stigmas and styles
were stunning!
-----



-----
Love this color of pink!
Robust!
-----




-----
A partial view of Hourglass Pond...
-----


-----
The plant itself looks a
little worse for wear...
-----
-----
....but look at the blooms! WOW!
-----




-----
See the chipmunk?
-----
-----

No comments: